Pledge by Red Skelton

Translate

Search & Win

Friday, March 29, 2013

Grandpa and his temper

My mother told me a story about her father just the other day. It seems my grandfather had a "hot" temper at one time. The story goes like this. Grandma told grandpa that my Aunt Selma needed new shoes. He responded with we should just get her iron shoes she wears them out so fast. Then grandma said her feet were growing and she needed shoes. Grandpa got angry about having to purchase another pair of shoes for Selma. He stated this is the last pair he was buying her. Well it turned out to be the last pair as Selma died a few weeks later from what they believed was food poisoning. However as I read the death certificate I believe she died from
appendicitis. She was only 3 years old, the others had eaten the same food as she.  Grandpa went into depression and was inconsolable. One day he was walking and went into the Old Free Methodist Church near his home. He talked with the minister and became a member. 
My mother was not born when Selma passed, neither was her brother.  Aunt Ethel was as she was the oldest.  My mother said she never knew of her father having a temper. I personally never saw him with a temper. I knew him as a very religious, God fearing person. I know he wore out numerous Bibles in his life time. I always believed it was because he was religious all his life.
I have found some cards that led me to ask my mother some questions about her father and her mother.
I knew grandma was pregnant before they married with Aunt Ethel. And then I found this notes that indicated they "liked their wine." Mom said, "I have heard my parents talk about that when I was younger, however I never saw my father or mother drink wine."
I am guessing that the death of Aunt Selma lead to this change in life style.

No comments:

"Don't treat someone like a priority when all they are willing to treat you like is an option." -- Unknown