Pledge by Red Skelton

Translate

Search & Win

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Just think...

Just think when I was a kid, we went to school no matter how hot it was... today they don't. We just opened the windows and prayed for a breeze. Sometimes the teachers had fans in the room.
Just think when I was a kid we didn't have air conditioning in our homes. Our home had two air conditioner window units... one for my mother's shop and one for our parents bedroom, which they only ran if it was in the day time and my father needed to sleep before going back to work. (He was on call 24/7)
Just think, we did not have air conditioning in our cars. Our first car with air was a 1964 red convertible. Dad would put the top down and we would ride with the air conditioning on.... What good did that do? Well mom kept cool.
Just think when I was a kid all the stores were closed on the 4th of July except the Liberty Market, which was only open til noon so people could pick the perfect watermelon from the big cement tank filled with ice. The owner would come and "plug" the melon you picked to make sure it was the one you wanted.
Just think when I was a kid we could get the best candy in the world for 1 cent. A bag full for a quarter.
Just think when I was a kid we played outside all day, mostly in the pool ~ we didn't sit and watch TV, play video games or have ipods.
Just think when I was a kid it was a treat to go to McDonald's to get french fries ~ nothing else, just the fries.
Just think when I was a kid we didn't have to use seat belts. We didn't even have seat belts. Your babies laid in a traveling basket in the seat besides you.
Just think when I was a kid we didn't have pens called bic  stick ... We used pens that you had to carry ink around and change the cartridge when it was empty... I remember those first bic stick pens.
Just think when I was a kid we had a special pen that had an indentation for your fingers and a long shaft that went from fat to thin.
Just think when I was a kid we didn't have color TV or cable. My dad watched his beloved Cubs through a "cloud" of static, while listening to WGN radio announce the games. When we got cable, dad watched ever game he could without static.
Just think a violent movie was when a gigantic gorilla attacked a city.
Just think when I was a kid you went to school unless there was 12 inches of snow on the ground.
Just think when I purchased my first car it didn't have an air conditioner because that cost more. I did pay for the radio though.
Just think when I first went to college, we didn't have computers to register us, we had to play cat and mouse with professors to get a card from them so we could be in their class and then went to the guidance office and hoped that they all fit into your schedule.

No comments:

"Don't treat someone like a priority when all they are willing to treat you like is an option." -- Unknown