Pledge by Red Skelton

Translate

Search & Win

Monday, May 23, 2011

A New Life...

Well not really a new life, but time for change. I have worked most of my life. I started babysitting at the age of 10. That's right, 10. I think back and wonder, just what were those people thinking, I was 10 and babysitting their new baby. Of course they lived across the alley from us, so I guess they figured I could call my mom. I mowed lawns for others, never asked to be paid as they were all elderly people and I just liked to mow. Then I babysat on a regular basis for 3 families. I worked at my uncle's restaurant and I worked at my aunt's boutique. I worked at a department store and scrubbed floors at a nursing home. And then I did what I did for a major part of my life... taught school.
I retire in just 3 days. Wow does that ever sound great... retirement.
I have been teasing the students all year that I was going to go home and just bake cookies one of these days. Well I really wasn't joking, as I had already made up my mind I wanted to retire.
My daughter is just starting her teaching career... she is "inheriting" lots of stuff for her classroom. She has been laying claim for awhile now... so now she can just have it all. 34 years worth of collecting!
So Hello new life. Sewing machine oiled and dusted off. Cookie sheets ready to go. Lets see what I can find to fill up my days. I may need to sub once in a great while, just to feel I am contributing to the future. Who knows. I sure don't. This is kind of scary. But it is also kind of exciting.
Maybe I'll write a book.

No comments:

"Don't treat someone like a priority when all they are willing to treat you like is an option." -- Unknown