Pledge by Red Skelton

Translate

Search & Win

Saturday, February 28, 2009

31 Years as a Teacher.

I have spent 31 years as a teacher. The only time off is when I had my children, which were only part years. I feel I have been pretty stable with my job. I like where I teach, like the people I work with and just enjoy doing my job. I work hard to keep current with what changes there are in the school laws. I have seen many changes over the years, but there are two that disturb me. 1. We have a group of young teachers. They lack a professional attitude needed to teach students. They are not dedicated to teaching in our district. It is obvious that we are just the stepping stone until a better paying teaching job comes along. 2. The attitude of students towards learning. Even with the offer of extra time available they don't want to take it. I believe that one of the reasons is that they feel it is punishment since grade schools use it that way. At the high school it is a time to get extra help so you don't have to struggle in subjects.
One of my students finally stayed because her mother told her she had to. When we were done she said can I stay tomorrow. Well we only offer a bus 2 days a week, so no. Now she is a regular. I think this is good for her and maybe it will help her see how quickly she can get her homework done if she just sits down and does it at home.

No comments:

"Don't treat someone like a priority when all they are willing to treat you like is an option." -- Unknown