Pledge by Red Skelton

Translate

Search & Win

Monday, June 27, 2011

Selma

Mother has wanted a stone for Selma, her sister, for many years. We went and ordered one two weeks ago.
The cemetery called today and wanted to know where Selma is buried as their records burned up in a fire many years ago. The only records they have are the ones current and that they have gone out and recorded themselves.
As a person who loves family history this fact saddens me.
The person at the cemetery said they found it odd that someone would want to place a stone for someone who had been deceased so long... one hundred years...
I explained to them that this is my mother's sister, whom she never met. That her mother had always wanted to have a stone for her, but could not remember the dates, too painful... Selma was only three when she passed... so mother made this one of her goals in life. So now Selma has a stone being placed...an this makes me happy.
I have told mother every Memorial Day, as we visit each cemetery and place flowers, that I wanted her to leave money in her will for Selma a stone. That I would make sure it was made and placed.
Mom decided she wanted to do it this year. So we did. And now Aunt Selma will be recognized as a living person.

No comments:

"Don't treat someone like a priority when all they are willing to treat you like is an option." -- Unknown