Pledge by Red Skelton

Translate

Search & Win

Thursday, July 28, 2011

School supplies

I was going through things I had from school. I decided I would hand them out to the neighborhood kids ~ first come first serve. Had almost enough for them all.
I have an idea... Being a teacher for 30+ years, I found that supply lists were created by teachers in hope that students would arrive at school with everything they needed for the school year; however many times the students seemed to lack enough supplies. Many times students couldn't afford what was on the list or at least all of it. Many times there are more than one child coming from a home. Teachers, out of their own pockets, spend money on student supplies so NO student has to go without.
Here's your part, go to your local school and ask what supplies are needed. Get a group of people together and gather those supplies. Pass them out at no cost to students when they come to register. Remember this would be on a first come first serve bases. You cannot discriminate against students whose parents may have the income to purchase supplies.
There should be a tax break for your donation,but talk to your tax person first about this.
Teachers spend much more than the $250 tax break they get. The cost of supplies for an average classroom should be around $1000.00.
I know this, as I supplied everything for my students as I knew many of the parents had a hard enough time trying to purchase clothing to start the school year off.
Like I said, get a group together. See what you can do...

No comments:

"Don't treat someone like a priority when all they are willing to treat you like is an option." -- Unknown