Pledge by Red Skelton

Translate

Search & Win

Monday, July 18, 2011

What is hospice care?

All three of our people are now in hospice care.
My daughter called and asked me what it was as her husband's grandmother was in hospice care at the hospital. I have a definition for her and others that would like to know:
Hospice care, provides humane and compassionate care for people in the last phases of an incurable disease so that they may live as fully and comfortably as possible.

Uncle Merle has one or two days left. He has not been able to eat or drink for at least 4 days. The average person can go 5 to 7 days without eating or drinking.

I know this has to be hard for my cousin. She is in the medical field and understands what is happening. It has been a battle with the nursing home to do as my uncle's living will states. The nurse's aids have given her the toughest time.

My husband's cousin has been with hospice for a few weeks now. Stage four cancer is not pretty. She was a heavy smoker. I know this does not always contribute to lung cancer, however it does in many cases. She was also one of those people who believed smoking pot did not damage your lungs. Well it does.

My son-in-laws grandmother is now in hospice care. I have to say that the one daughter of hers is very strong and stated we will follow her wishes. One son is having a hard time accepting his mother's prognosis and the fact she will be passing soon also.

Guilt makes it hard to let go of someone. Especially when you could have done more or paid more attention to them. Sometimes we get so hung up in our own Little worlds we forget the most important things of all: 1. show your love for your family ~ financial security is okay, but doing small things like visiting even when you don't feel like it, makes a big difference in someones day. (Just don't act like you don't want to be there.) 2. Do not be so worried about finances that you forget that maybe a homemade card, a game of catch, you cooking a special meal for another individual ~ that's love. It can't be bought with cash. (You can't take money with you when you die, so just enough to make life comfortable is all someone needs.)

I know how tough it is to watch a loved one die. My father passed away when I was a teenager from cancer. We didn't notice the small changes at the time, but when we look at old photos, we can see the things we thought were just life changes.

I prayed to God one night, when my father was still at home, that God would take him and release him from this pain if he couldn't be healed. That was the last night my father spent at home. He died 35 hours later.

I knew I had been a good daughter to him. We played ball together, swam, went on vacations, spent as much time together as life would allow. I didn't want him in pain, I wanted him to be in the safe arms of God and Heaven.

Do I believe in Heaven? I do. I believe my father is our family's light. That he is the one that greets others. Why do I believe this? My cousin talked to my dad before he died, my grandmother talked to my dad before she passed, my older sister talked to my dad~ she kept saying, "Daddy I can't see the light." When she saw the light she smiled and peacefully passed on.

Yes I believe there is a Heaven and God. Yes I believe hospice is the best program that has ever been created.

Prayers to our loved ones. Prayers of a peaceful passing to their new lives.

No comments:

"Don't treat someone like a priority when all they are willing to treat you like is an option." -- Unknown