Pledge by Red Skelton

Translate

Search & Win

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

feral cats

I just finished reading an article about feral cats. Our neighborhood, and many others in our town, seem to have many cats that are "unowned." My objective was to see if I feed these wild creatures they would stop eating birds in our neighborhood. It seems that is not a solution. According to the article there are over 5 million wild cats. Many times it is because people have cats, who have babies, who are then set out in the wild because they are unwanted and the cycle continues.
One suggestion from the article is capture, neuter or spade and release. I don't think we should do this to all cats or dogs, as they are companions to people, however this wild cat and dog problem is destroying the balance of nature.
I want to put up some bird houses, however if it means that the wild, feral, cats are going to feed on the birds that I do want around then I will not do it.
What a situation. So do I build some bird house and chance the feral cats attacking them, or do I call the animal control office and ask about feral cats. I am not willing to pay for them to take the feral cats, they are not mine. So just what will I do?

No comments:

"Don't treat someone like a priority when all they are willing to treat you like is an option." -- Unknown